Thursday, April 8, 2010

Gablesland Trail Along the Eno


In a further evolution of working with grids and the patterns within them, I used the sky of this work for more experimentation and abstraction. Like the earlier piece I did of the Quarry at the Eno River, the sky and water were broken down into 1/2"x1/2" squares. The sky was first pained in a series of contrasting blues, and then symbols of were added in other blue contrasts. After this a light blue glaze was applied over the entire sky. The water does not have quite the same abstraction, but the same painting methods were used. I like the way the rocks were positioned in this setting. Being the rocks were right on the river bank it allowed me to use a different palette of colors to distinguish the main body of land from the water.

Gablesland Trail Along the Eno - 20x16" Acrylic on Canvas

2 comments:

  1. The three most recent paintings look like a new evolution of your style. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the top half of the Eno at Gablesland painting better than the bottem half. Go figure, maybe you artists understand...I just know what I like. Enjoying the entire Newsletter. Too sad I don't live in Raleigh. Nicole's got classes!
    pba

    ReplyDelete

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed