Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sunset Over a Wake County Tobacco Field


For the past couple of months I have really been using geometry and shapes to emphasize elements in my paintings. While I feel this experimentation has been successful, I probably have been too focused on that one aspect and subsequently have neglected other important areas. In looking at my past two paintings (Atlantic Beach and Rocky Mountain National Park) blues and greens dominate the entire surface. I don't think I squeezed one drop of red or mixed one stroke of orange or yellow in hours upon hours of painting. Hopefully my latest painting addresses this issue with a more vibrant palette of colors. The sunset over the field provides a nice contrast of the sky against the trees, while the reds, yellows and oranges give the paintings some punch with colors I do not often use.

Sunset Over a Wake County Tobacco Field - 16x20" Acrylic on Canvas

1 comment:

  1. Micah,

    I really like this one. Especially the trees against the sky on the left side of the picture. The sunset part does shout a little bit but all in all the bare tree against the sky gives me a feeling of a late day in Sprintime NC.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed