Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rocky Mountain National Park


My first complete painting reflecting my travels in Rocky Mountain National Park. A magnificent area indeed! So many inspirations arose from this trip, I was not quite sure where to begin as I have hundreds of pictures from the few days I spent in Colorado. The mountains are very different from those in North Carolina. Unlike the mountains in western NC that are densely covered with trees and vegetation, the Rockies have many barren spots that are just short grass and foliage. This is evident in this painting where the tree line start about 1/3 of the way up the mountain.


The colors of the setting allowed for vivid blues and greens in all areas of the painting. My version of a triangular sky giving a reflection of hundreds of squares in the river make a nice abstract quality to tranquil scene.


Rocky Mountain National Park - 30x40" Acrylic on Canvas

2 comments:

  1. My Dear Micah,
    This is a perfect composition.
    The strong diagonal top left brings me instantly into the painting. The horizontals of the water slowly float me back up. The vertical of the trees send me the rest of the way up. Then the crazy sky, where each triangle melts in my mouth. I get a brief rest on the faraway tan mountain. Then with my giant legs, I leap from the far away mountain to the tan rock on the close shore and back again. And last but not least the ever so important "thing in the corner trick" (bottom right) never ever lets me leave the painting.
    Thank you for sharing.
    XO Your fan Carolsoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Micah! love your work! I can't believe I just found you and your work. I'm also a Triangle area landscape painter and just started appying to shows late last year. and I spent a week in Rocky Mtn National Park just a few weeks ago. can't wait to meet you and see your work in person, Jana Van Wyk

    www.janavanwyk.blogspot.com
    www.janavanwyk.com

    ReplyDelete

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed