Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Eastern North Carolina


Several of my pieces are currently available at the Vision Gallery in Atlantic Beach, NC.  In the spring of 2009 we visited the gallery and made a day trip of it and took in some of the surrounding landscape.  I’ve never been a big beach painter so I knew this would be a challenge.  At the advice of the gallery’s owner we hiked around Hoop Hole Creek.  I took a lot of pictures, but nothing really popped out.  I knew if I were to paint this area, the painting rather than the location would need to be my area of focus.  I decided to create a polytich of 12, 10x10” panels.  I painted each panel separately and tried different painting techniques on each.   When finished they were all mounted onto 36x48” oak board to create a full composition.

My favorite area of this region is Croatan Forest.  Situated between New Bern and Atlantic Beach the landscape is diverse enough where one might see towering pine trees and dense forestry adjacent to a sandy beach and serene coastline.  I created three paintings from the pictures I took.  All three were accepted into different juried shows.  My favorite of these is Flanners Beach (pictured) this really illustrates a wild and diverse forest scene in contrast to the serenity of the beach at sundown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed