Friday, July 10, 2009

Geometric Sky


In creating a typical landscape, I find the sky to be one of the most important elements to the painting.  The viewer’s eye is directed to the vanishing point where horizon line disappears and eventually dissolves into the sky.  Challenging the viewer with a “non-traditional” sky I find accents other parts of the painting.

In Croatan Forest 1 and 2, I used varying square and rectangular shapes of blues, whites and grays to achieve this “geometric sky”.  Just by cutting shapes in masking tape and applying different color glazes in layer over layer allowed me to achieve this effect.  I am currently experimenting with shapes other rectangles to take this to yet another level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed