Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gustav Klimt?

Recently another artist mentioned my paintings somewhat reminded her of the works of Gustav Klimt. Although several people have made this reference over the years I always dismissed it, thinking only of Klimt’s ‘Golden Phase’ where he painted The Kiss and other figure works. In looking at the work done during this phase I could see similarities to my style, but perhaps through my own stubbornness I decided not to make a comparison with people and landscapes. I now know Klimt painted somewhere around 50 landscapes in his short life. In these works I can definitely see similarities of our styles. In Klimt’s Pear Tree that is shown I love the multitude of colors used to accentuate the leaves, yet there is still enough contrast to separate the tree trunks, grass and sky.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Micah,

    Great paintings....As soon as I saw these, the first thing I thought was Carlos Casteneda....Don Juan stories....Very mystical almost aborigine vison of nature!

    Great stuff...they also look like they are fun to paint!

    ReplyDelete

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed