Monday, December 28, 2009

Sweetwater Creek

Sweetwater Creek is located in Eastern North Carolina near Williamston. During a recent trip to the region I took some pictures from the highway overpass. Things like sunken trees and dark muddy water with brilliant defined reflections make this a very interesting landscape.

There are several different acrylic painting techniques I used to create this picture. The water was painted in different grays, greens and purples – when complete I applied a thick sap green glaze over the water this allowed for a sharp contrast with the foreground. The grassy area in the foreground is different bands of greens and yellows accented by speckles of contrasting greens and yellows to represent the wet grass. The further background in the top 1/3 of the painting represents the dense forestry I saw in that area.

Certainly the most involved and eye catching elements of this work are the trees. The detail work and heavy impasto allow these trees to jump off the canvas. In some cases (like the red in the upper left) dried paint/glaze is adhered to the canvas using gel medium.

Sweetwater Creek 20x20” Acrylic on Canvas

2 comments:

  1. Micah, I hope all my comments aren't a distraction. I am now in Firefox, and appears, because I am signed in at my Google account, I may make a successful posted comment. Tom
    I really am enjoying reading about and seeing your art ! You are an inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah, One last comment for today ! I am in Firefox and not signed in to my Google Account. Tom T

    ReplyDelete

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed