Monday, January 18, 2010

Grassy Creek Falls #2


I’ve always considered my paintings to be “mosaic” like in appearance. The varying grids of color make for diverse patterns, and I always try to achieve a gloss like finish to the paint to give that high sheen appearance when dry. Given this painting style, it seemed a natural transition might be to use real mosaic chips in the painting. I’ve accumulated enough old plates from yard sales over the years so I have quite a big selection from which to create some colorful patterns. This particular composition offered varying blues, greens and earth tones to allow for a variety of my plate collection to be broken and subsequently placed into the painting. I’ve done a few mosaic/paintings over the years. The 18x24” surface is the smallest I have done so far. The surface used for this project is Ampersand Gessobord and the primary paint used is Turner Acryl Gouache.

18x24" Acrylic and Broken Plates on Gessobord

All comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed