Friday, February 26, 2010

Pocosin Lakes - Step 6 - Final

Ok, Step 6 probably should have been Steps 6, 7, 8 . . . Needless to say there was quite a bit involved with finishing this painting. I struggled mightily with how I was going to paint the big tree. My initial thought was to create impasto walls going up each side and then use a liquid mixture to fill the space in the enter of the tree. I opted against that and chose to use more detail on the tree bark and branches.

In doing the big leafy areas of the tree, I used a bright palette of color - when everything was painted I came back and added a fluid acrylic/glazing medium mixture applied with applicator bottles. Eileen walked in while I was doing this, and said I was adding ornaments to the Christmas tree. While that was not my intention perhaps there is some truth to that perception.

This painting took over 50 hours of painting time, but I am quite happy with the finished product.

Some of the earlier pictures of the process were photographed in sub par lighting, so that would explain much of the color variances.

All comments, questions and criticism are welcomed.

3 comments:

  1. Micah, I have enjoyed watching this painting evolve into what appears to me to be a really fine work of art. I look forward to seeing the original. You do an outstanding job of describing how things work. I have learned a lot and you are inspiring me to try my hand at an acrylic work. Keep up the great work. Your blog is the best ! Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite my christmas ornament comment, this is one of your most interesting paintings. It really is very nice.

    I love you,

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

All comments, criticism and questions are of course welcomed